To locate a Microsoft Certified Partner to help with technology upgrades, small businesses can:
- Contact their current IT provider
- Request partner help from Microsoft's Get2Modern website
- Use Microsoft Pinpoint to locate a local technology partner in Singapore that meets their needs.
Tech-savvy small businesses can also upgrade their current PCs by themselves if their current PCs are compatible with the newer operating system and productivity tools. All it takes is a few simple steps:
1. To find out if your current PCs will work with modern operating systems such as Windows 8.1, visit this Microsoft website to automatically detect what OS your PC is running on.
2. Alternatively, small businesses can download the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to see if their existing PCs can run Windows 8.1 and follow the steps in the upgrade tutorial - including backing up important settings and files - to install the new operating system.
3. Free Windows XP migration tool: Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to provide PCmover Express for Windows XP for free, which copies a user's files and settings from a Windows XP PC to a new device running Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. PCmover Express is available for download at www.windowsxp.com.
Once the small business has upgraded to Windows 8.1, they can choose the right Office 365 subscription to meet the needs of their business.
Microsoft also offers resources to help businesses safely transfer their files and data to their new devices, as well as free tools to help determine whether their applications will be compatible with the new technology.
It's an exciting time to be a small business owner, whom now have access to technology that used to be only available to big enterprises. The end of support for Windows XP provides the perfect opportunity for small businesses in Singapore to tap into the power of technology to connect and collaborate, gaining an advantage over their competition.
Sign up for Computerworld eNewsletters.