6. Create canned messages: Personalization goes a long way in chat, but building canned language for commonly repeated messages saves time and drives greater efficiency, which will allow agents to quickly select the appropriate message. Consider creating canned messages for greetings, standard troubleshooting questions, process steps and closings.
7. Establish new processes and train: Avoid applying standard phone processes to chat. When outlining processes for this support channel, consider taking advantage of intelligent routing with a chat entry point, identifying how long an agent should wait for response from a customer, what actions should be taken when the customer is unresponsive, and determining how and when an agent should use canned messages rather than customized responses.
8. Integrate with other systems: Integrate chat into existing service desk environments to create a seamless support experience and a better customer experience, which will also reduce tech effort. Two of many points of chat integration include an organization’s remote support software and its ticketing system.
9. Measure critical KPIs and review reporting: You need the ability to measure critical KPIs to identify trends and take corrective measures as your chat support channel grows. Analyzing customer satisfaction scores, resolutions rates, productivity, service levels and handle times can offer insight into performance against your baseline metrics.
10. Continuously improve: This last step is to guarantee that your chat support channel is consistently enhanced by tracking post-chat launch performance against your established goals for the channel and analyzing both performance across all channels and customer survey data. Be sure to dive into these details and examine performance by issue type, agent and customer to find ways to improve. Ensure a continuous feedback loop with front line agents by establishing a pre-defined feedback mechanism.
Using chat as a support channel can reduce incident handling times and improve customer satisfaction by allowing support technicians to chat with end users throughout a session. Once an organization recognizes the full potential of chat as a support channel, these steps can help it strategize to create chat support that is ideal for its stakeholders.
Sign up for Computerworld eNewsletters.