Data and big data analytics are fast becoming the lifeblood of any successful business. Getting the technology right can be challenging, but building the right team with the right skills to undertake big data initiatives can be even harder. Not surprisingly, that challenge is reflected in the rising demand for big data skills and certifications.
If you're looking for a way to get an edge, big data certification is a great option. Certifications measure your knowledge and skills against industry- and vendor-specific benchmarks to prove to employers that you have the right skillset. The number of big data certs is expanding rapidly.
Below is our guide to the most sought after big data certifications to help you decide which cert is right for you.
Is big data certification worth pursuing?
Organizations are on the hunt for data scientists and analysts with expertise in the techniques required to analyze big data. They also need big data systems architects to translate requirements into systems, data engineers to build data pipelines, developers who know their way around Hadoop clusters and other technologies, and systems administrators and managers to tie everything together.
These skills are in high demand and are relatively rare. Individuals with the right mix of experience and skills can demand high salaries. The right certifications can help.
"Advanced data analytics capabilities are just too critical for staying competitive," says David Foote, co-founder, chief analyst and chief research officer of Foote Partners. "They've expanded in popularity from a few industries to nearly every industry and market. And there is the Internet of Things, the next critical focus for data and analytics services. IDC is predicting a 30 percent CAGR over the next five years, while McKinsey is expecting IoT to have a $4 trillion to $11 trillion global economic impact by 2025 as businesses look to IoT technologies to provide more insight."
While the market value of noncertified advanced analytics skills has actually increased faster as a percentage of base salary than the value of certified big data skills, according to Foote Research, Foote believes pay premiums for both noncertified and certified skills will steadily rise over the next 12 to 24 months.
The top 19 big data and data analytics certifications
- Analytics: Optimizing Big Data Certificate
- Certificate in Engineering Excellence Big Data Analytics and Optimization (CPEE)
- Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
- Certified Analytics Professional
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Administrator
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Spark and Hadoop Developer
- Cloudera Certified Professional (CCP): Data Engineer
- EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
- IBM Certified Data Architect – Big Data
- IBM Certified Data Engineer – Big Data
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Management and Analytics
- Mining Massive Data Sets Graduate Certificate
- MongoDB Certified DBA Associate
- MongoDB Certified Developer Associate
- Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite 11 Certified Implementation Specialist
- SAS Certified Big Data Professional
- SAS Certified Data Scientist Using SAS 9
- Stanford Data Mining and Applications Graduate Certificate
Analytics: Optimizing Big Data Certificate
Sign up for Computerworld eNewsletters.