Best practices for incident response in the cloud
One critical issue that many enterprises face is the lack of talent possessing the proper skills to manage security. It is difficult to find the right candidates, and if you locate them, you can expect to have ato pay top salaries. By the end of 2024, the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects information security analyst jobs to grow 18%, and salaries are already averaging well into six figures.
However, there are some steps that you can take to bring new employees up to speed quickly or enhance the skills of existing employees:
- Promote collaboration to help junior analysts benefit from the experience of senior analysts. As a bonus, collaborative efforts may reveal duplicate efforts that can be eliminated.
- Create playbooks that prescribe standard procedures for responding to incidents. Naturally, you cannot create a guide for every potential situation, but playbooks can be valuable guides and excellent training materials. Just remember to keep playbooks updated, which is a task that can often be automated.
- Speaking of automation, many tasks can be automated, especially if they are repetitive and routine. Mundane tasks take up an unjustifiable amount of time. Automation can free your staff members for more important tasks.
- Foster situational awareness from both the historical and real-time points of view. An effective analysis of past incidents can help you make better decisions about current incidents.
- Analyze incidents and create a database to help determine the types of problems encountered, the skills needed to address the issue, the frequency of each type of incident, and other facts. Analysis can help you identify vulnerabilities and determine where to bolster security.
Like most security best practices related to cloud applications, incident response is also a shared responsibility. Planning ahead for incident response is critical to make sure you have the right contacts, tools and processes in place. Having an incident response platform that can enable collaboration for internal and external teams, track incident response processes and automate key security tasks, is essential in the time of crisis to contain issues quickly and respond effectively.
Sign up for Computerworld eNewsletters.