Screenshot - Norton Mobile Security application
As the result of a partnership with security firm Symantec, Malaysian telco Maxis is now offering the Norton Mobile Security application to customers with Android mobile devices.
The new service, which is part of the Maxis Secure portfolio, allows customers to enjoy a safer mobile experience as well as offer the ability to remotely locate, lock and wipe data from lost and stolen Android powered devices, said Maxis head of digital services T. Kugan.
"With the rapidly growing number of smartphones and devices being offered in the market, there is a higher risk of device and data loss or theft," he said. "Our partnership with Symantec is an important step forward in our ongoing efforts of building a robust mobile security ecosystem, and reaffirms our commitment to mobile security. The addition of Norton Mobile Security to Maxis Secure suite of security services helps us provide our customers with peace of mind and the much needed protection for their Android devices."
Symantec vice president, Asia South Region, Eric Hoh, said, "It's no secret that people are using mobile devices more than ever in their daily lives, for everything from connecting with friends to paying for a cup of coffee. As we use our mobile phones in new and innovative ways, we're also putting sensitive information at risk, if the device gets lost or stolen. With Norton Mobile Security, we are making it simple for people to protect their Android smartphones and safeguard their data."
Weekly or monthly package
Norton Mobile Security offers protection for Android devices and data for RM1 (US$0.31) a week or RM3 (US$0.94) a month with features that include:
- Anti-Phishing Web Protection - Through this feature, users are protected from malicious websites that could try to steal personal information.
- Call & Text Blocker - Allows users to block specific people or phone numbers so that users are not disturbed by unwanted calls and SMS.
- Lost Notice - In the event of a lost phone, allows users to send customised message to the person who located the device to have it returned.
- Remote Lock - Users are able to lock the device remotely via the web or SMS to prevent others from accessing the data and information on the device.
- Remote Locate - Pinpoints lost or stolen phones or tablets on a map to help users find their devices fast.
- Remote Wipe - Allows users to wipe data and information in the device, both of which are stored in the internal memory or external memory, via SMS or the web.
Maxis Android customers can subscribe to either a weekly or monthly package. As an added benefit, customers who subscribe to Norton Mobile Security will enjoy a one-month free trial from the time of subscription, said Maxis's Kugan.
Sign up for Computerworld eNewsletters.