Photo - Malaysian models show the new WD Red (5TB and 6TB) and WD Red Pro.
Storage solutions giant WD has launched new NAS storage offerings, which include 6 TB, 5-platter hard drives, for Malaysian small office/home offices [SOHOs] and larger businesses
The launch in Kuala Lumpur included WD Asia South's sales director, Margaret Koh; principal field application engineer, Mike Goh; and WD Malaysia business senior sales manager, Wong Yen Lin.
WD has expanded its WD Red line of SATA hard drives for home and small office NAS [network attached storage] systems with the release of a 5 TB and first-to-market 6 TB capacity for NAS-specific storage and the introduction of WD Red Pro hard drives that address the medium to large business NAS market.
Compatibility-tested with top NAS system manufacturers and optimised for power and performance, WD Red 3.5-inch hard drives are now shipping in 1 TB to 6 TB capacities; and the new WD Red Pro 3.5-inch hard drives are available in 2 TB to 4 TB capacities.
"With the expansion and evolution of the WD Red family, WD once again is providing its loyal customers with increased capacity up to 6 TB; improved bay count support with up to 8 bays; increased product breadth with WD Red Pro; and more features with the latest generation of NASware technology," said Matt Rutledge, senior vice president and general manager, WD Storage Technology. "WD continues to listen to its customers and bring exciting innovation to the category they helped to create."
Photo - Flanked by models (Second from left) Wong Yen Lin, Business Senior Sales Manager, WD Malaysia; Mike Goh, Principal Field Application Engineer, WD South Asia Region; and Margaret Koh, Sales Director, Asia South, WD.
Some key features include:
- Hard drives feature 3D Active Balance Plus, an enhanced balance control technology, which improves overall drive performance and reliability. Exclusive for WD Red customers, WD offers free premium 24x7 dedicated support.
- By increasing NASware 3.0 capability, the WD Red 1-6 TB capacity drives are capable of supporting up to eight bay NAS systems with no negative impact to performance.
WD Red Pro
- Made for medium to large business environments, the new WD Red Pro line of NAS hard drives supports eight to 16 bay NAS systems. The design offers high performance storage powered by NASware 3.0. By introducing the WD Red Pro, WD now has a full portfolio NAS storage solution with the WD Red family (WD Red and WD Red Pro) for both consumer and business NAS solutions.
- The WD Green line of cool and quiet hard drives is also seeing capacity expansion with 5 TB and 6 TB additions for high capacity consumer storage.
- High capacity WD 6 TB hard drives will integrate seamlessly with WD My Cloud, WD My Cloud EX2, WD My Cloud EX4, WD My Cloud Mirror personal cloud storage as well as My Book and My Book Duo external drive solutions and are compatible to work with a wide array of WD OEM NAS partners.
Available now at select retailers and is distributed by Amble Action, Eternal Asia (M) and Achieva Technology in Malaysia.
Sign up for Computerworld eNewsletters.